Operations Advisor Full-time Job1 year ago Medical & Healthcare Nairobi 3K views Reference: 515
Application Date: 3rd April 2022
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 26 associations, 23 sections, and 16 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 6 operational entities.
You can learn more about MSF on our website or via our digital channels Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
The Operations Advisor acts as a sparring partner to the OM and Heads of Mission on operational strategic issues. S/he provides advice and support in order to facilitate decision making towards the development and realization of operational goals within the existing set of policies and planning. The OA is in charge of the day to day, and therefore facilitates interaction between support processes and is responsible for enabling appropriate support by Human Resource, Logistics, and Finance departments. Furthermore, the OA monitors the effectiveness and efficiency of operations and acts as a mediator/trouble shooter whenever problems arise.
Responsibilities and Activities:
You will work closely with the Operations Manager, to support, advise and manage the missions in the field. There is also a close working relation with the different departments in HQ that advise the field missions on a functional level: Public Health, Human Resources, Communications and Advocacy, Logistics and Finance.
On a structural basis you:
- Participate in strategic operational discussions (with other operations teams) and assist in developing of e.g. country policies, project proposals, security plans, emergency preparation plans
- Give advice to the OM, Heads of Missions and field management in the portfolio supporting tactical decision making. This involves analysis of field questions and problems as well as proposing solutions
- Coach the Heads of Missions where appropriate and/or refer the teams to alternative sources for feedback and coaching. You also identify opportunities and needs for institutional competence building
- Safeguard adherence to operational policies of the organization.
- You (de)brief field staff
- Manage the process and support the content of control cycle reviews of missions
You cooperate closely with other departments on:
- For example, identification of new or large-scale emergencies, security matters, new advocacy issues. You represent your team if the OM delegates this to you and you proactively identify and refer matters to the relevant people
- You also keep a close relation to the other departments in HQ so that you can facilitate adequate support and timely flag to OM major deviations (eg. budget), and concerns (eg. Code of Conduct issues)
- With HR and learning and development you cooperate when it comes to HR policies, (for example regarding recruitment, (de)briefings, training & development), induction sessions, you act as a facilitator in courses and you join a panel in job interviews
- With the financial department you identify and follow up on day to day financial issues for the portfolio which includes institutional donors, donations from partner sections and mission budget
- Process management of legal and compliance matters in missions; MoUs, HCA, registration etc.
- You initiate and coordinate meetings between representative of the different departments (the operational support team) on a regular basis and in case of ad hoc needs, to enhance collaboration/consultation between field operations and head office
In addition, you:
- Maintain relations with external actors (including intersectional) related to the portfolio concerning access, contextual understanding, advocacy, communication as delegated by the Operational Manager
- Coordinate the maintenance and proper use of the electronic operations data base
- Are first point of contact in absence of OM
We are seeking a motivated team player who operates on an advanced professional level, is capable of thorough analytical thinking and has a natural ability to effectively putting forward solutions to identified problems.
We expect the candidate to have held field-based country management posts for at least two years, preferably as Head of Mission in one of the MSF operational sections. You are required to be familiar with current MSF policy and procedures (ideally on both field and head office level), and have good knowledge of the MSF movement and organisational structure.
The position operates in a fast-paced work environment that requires initiative and a flexible, stress resistant attitude. Good communication skills are essential, as well as an excellent command of English.
The candidate must be willing to work irregular hours and spend approximately 15-20% of the time in the field.
A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organisation.
An employment contract from June 1st 2022, based on 40 hours per week is offered.
An annual salary of KES 5,181,181 corresponding to Level 4C of the MSF Eastern Africa Section (MSF EA) scale. Other benefits including a relocation package for non-Kenyan residents is foreseen where applicable. Other additional benefits and specific work conditions will be applied based on the MSF EA section policy.
If you recognise yourself in this profile and meet the requirements, we welcome you to apply directly via the Apply button on his page and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae (in English) as one combined document (only applications with motivation will be included in the process). The closing date for applications is April 3rd 2022, and selection will be by means of an
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae, motivation letter through the weblink provided below.
For more information about the position, please contact David Croft (Project Manager - Nairobi) at [email protected] Please note no applications to be sent to this address.
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be considered
Share This on: