Development cooperation trainee (m/f/d) for biodiversity at German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) Full-time Job8 months ago Nature & environment Dar es salaam 1.2K views Reference: 686
Development cooperation trainee (m/f/d) for biodiversity
You are applying for the development cooperation trainee program, a youth development program run by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Training is provided for German and multilateral development cooperation organizations . The program is implemented by the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) on behalf of the BMZ.
The focus of the program is the expansion of management skills and the acquisition of work experience in program development and management of German development cooperation. The structure of the program enables you to get to know the structures, actors and functioning of development cooperation from different perspectives in on-the-job training .
During the 17-month training you will go through three practical phases . After the 1-month preparation, you start with the 8-month assignment in the above-mentioned function and country. You then choose a 3-month assignment at an international organization and end with a 5-month assignment at the BMZ.
The trainee remuneration is 1,900 gross/month.
Further information on the development cooperation trainee program can be found on the websites of BMZ: and GIZ:
- Job ID: V000051753
- Location: Dar es Salaam
- Period of use: 07/01/2023 - 11/30/2024
- Area of Expertise: Forest, biodiversity, marine protection
- Type of enployment: full time
- Application time: 09/26/2022
Field of activity
As part of the trainee program, you will be deployed in Tanzania for your 8-month assignment in the Reduction of Human-Wildlife Conflicts project .
In Tanzania, on the outskirts of numerous national parks and other protected areas, there are increasing numbers of serious accidents and damage caused by elephants and other wild animals. The project supports the Tanzanian government in implementing the national strategy for the management of human-wildlife conflicts. The lead Ministry for Natural Resources and Tourism is supported in its coordination function. Selected communities that are particularly affected are empowered to take measures to prevent wildlife damage themselves or to request support services and to represent their interests.
In selected districts of the Ruvuma landscape in southern Tanzania, inter-institutional cooperation for a quick response to acute human-wildlife conflicts is being improved. Finally, targeted educational and informational offerings are intended to strengthen capacity to implement short- and long-term solutions and support a broader target group in conflict management
You will accompany the implementation of the project and support the coordination of the DC program "Protection and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity in Tanzania". You will gain insight into the work of a development worker at the umbrella organization for community-based wildlife conservation areas (CWMAC) and oversee accompanying studies on human-wildlife conflicts.
In the project work of the first practical phase, you will be involved in the following tasks.
- Preparation, management and execution of a consulting service, e.g. accompanying research on human-wildlife conflicts
- Supporting development workers in working with community-based game wardens
- Participation in the implementation of the order including planning, monitoring and reporting
- Planning, application and monitoring of gender-sensitive and human rights-oriented approaches in project implementation
- Target group oriented project communication
- Participation in the coordination of the development cooperation program and the preparation of new projects
- technical guidance of an intern
The two subsequent practical phases and the tasks there are developed in the course of the EZ trainee program.
You will bring these professional qualifications with you for the first practical phase:
- Studies in biology, ecology, environmental sciences, sustainability studies or similar
- Focus of the studies in protection/ sustainable use of our livelihoods
- Necessary technical knowledge in the field of nature conservation, ecosystemic approaches,
- Knowledge of (environmental) economics, African studies/human rights, social sciences would be an advantage
- Excellent skills in MS Office applications, statistical programs an advantage
- Fluent language skills in German, English and another language (French, Spanish, Arabic, ...)
The following knowledge and experience round off your qualifications for the entire EZ trainee program:
- Knowledge of development cooperation
- First practical experiences in a developing country
- Willingness to change location several times
- Open for use in different organizations
- Intercultural Competence
The knowledge and experience may have been acquired through an internship.
GIZ works flexibly to deliver effective and efficient solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
For GIZ, the 2030 Agenda is the overarching framework that guides its work, which it implements in close cooperation with its partners and commissioning parties.
Share This on: