National Coordinator (SDG Tax Collector) at UNDP Full-time Job8 months ago Accounting & Finance Dar es salaam 1.1K views Reference: 473
National Coordinator (SDG Tax Collector)-NPSA10
Scope of Work
UNDP Tanzania is seeking a Tax for SDGs National Coordinator to effectively manage and support the implementation of the UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative and provide support to UNDP Tanzania on tax related engagements as part of their agenda of financing the SDGs in the country.
1) Strategic and Multi-Stakeholder Engagement
- Support the Head of Inclusive Growth Pillar in embedding the UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative in UNDPs broader SDG finance portfolio in UNDP Tanzania;
- Lead implementation and multi-stakeholder engagement for the project in Tanzania including engaging with tax experts, bilateral, regional and multilateral organizations, governments (central and local governments);
- Support UNDP Tanzania in building strategic alliances and partnerships with governments, think tanks, academic institutions, development partners and others to expand UNDPs work on tax and fiscal policy;
- Work with the Head of Inclusive Growth Pillar to support UNDP COs to learn from the Tanzania experience in designing and implementing Country Engagement Plan (CEP) and in their broader engagement on tax and fiscal policies within the overall project.
2) Policy and Programme Coordination
i. To analyze local context and identify potential synergies with UNDPs policy and development work in-country at national/federal/ sub national level and map out emerging trends and opportunities for the region;
ii. Provide technical advice to support the implementation of the UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative and to backstop tax experts working under the project;
ii. Identify potential synergies between the UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative work of UNDP Tanzania, the UNDP Regional Hub and UNDP Country Offices implementing same Initiative;
iii. Engage with policymakers on tax and fiscal policy matters and further develop the role of UNDP in taxation in Tanzania;
iv. Coordinate the development of policy papers to promote understanding and integration of tax and fiscal policies and SDG issues;
v. Support the Head of Inclusive Growth Pillar in relevant analytical and policy-oriented work on tax policy and administration, and on technical tax topics.
3) Knowledge Management:
i. Facilitate setting up the interventions under the project as well as coordinate their implementation as per standard operating procedures, including knowledge capture from past programmes;
ii. Collaborate on evidence collection and lessons-learned from other countries, including promoting best practice sharing and peer learning through case-studies;
iii. Collaborate on knowledge management between various stakeholders, including UNDP CO and tax experts;
iv. Develop concept notes for technical workshops/webinars/side-events for UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative.
4) Outreach Engagement:
i. Collaborate on project communications, including Annual Reports and Newsletters;
ii. Coordinate the organization of events, including high-level launches of the programmes;
iii. Collaborate on lessons-learned from the project activities, including through case-studies;
iv. Develop resources to enhance capacities within UNDP on tax, fiscal policy issues and SDGs;
v. Follow technical discussions in other fora and represent UNDP in relevant meetings;
v. Perform other duties, as may be required by the Supervisor.
5) Provide a secretariat and technical support to the Development Partner Group on Tax or Public Finance Management
6) Draft internal UNDP briefing notes and talking points for Senior Management on UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative
The position will be embedded in the Inclusive Growth Pillar and work as part of the UNDP Tanzania Country Office. The National Coordinator will report to the Head of Inclusive Growth Pillar UNDP Tanzania. The Regional Programme Specialist of UNDP Tax for SDGs Initiative will back stop the National Coordinator. Throughout the project, collaboration, and coordination with the rest of the UNDP Tax team and other teams will be required.
- Achieve Results: Prioritize team workflow, mobilize resources, drive scalable results/strategic impact.
- Think Innovatively: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences.
- Adapt with Agility: Proactively initiate/lead organizational change, champion new systems/processes.
- Act with Determination: Able to make difficult decisions in challenging situations, inspire confidence.
- Engage and Partner: Construct strategic multi-partner alliances in high stake situations, foster co-creation
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Create ethical culture, identify/address barriers to inclusion
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Partnership management- Strategic engagement: Ability to capture and sustain attention, interest and agreement of high-level, influential policy and decision makers and secure their buy-in of high-level vision and objectives
- Digital & Innovation-Alternative finance: Set up the processes and structures to design, testing and implement new financial mechanisms. Managing outreach and stakeholder engagement
- Legal- Legal advocacy and presentation skills: The ability to articulate and present legal analysis orally, both in a persuasive and objective format and for a variety of different audiences (e.g. the governments, administrative tribunals, arbitrators, management, donors, and other partners). T
- Communications- Advocacy strategy and implementation: Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
- Partnership management- Resource mobilization: Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
- Ethics- Ethics Advice & Guidance: Ability to quickly analyse complex fact patterns and provide comprehensive, sensitive, and confidential ethics advice and guidance
- Business Development- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for content, or responsive to a stated need
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree in taxation, law, economics, finance, public policy or a closely related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Five years for Master's degree holders and 7 years for Bachelors degree holders progressively responsible experience of working in taxation, public finance management or domestic resource mobilization for a government or international organization;
- Advising and engaging with international institutions or government;
- Public finance management;
- Domestic resource mobilization;
- Conducting tax audits;
- Drafting tax regulations;
- Knowledge of taxation, fiscal policy and illicit financial flows in Tanzania;
- Understanding of tax/fiscal policy, tax administration processes;
- Working in and with developing countries in Africa;
- Working with UNDP or UN Development System is an asset;
- Experience of results-oriented based project management;
- Writing and analytical skills.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English is required.
Education & Work Experience
Master's Degree - 5 year(s) experience
Bachelors Degree with 7 years of experience
Share This on: