Programme Finance Associate Full-time Job9 months ago Accounting & Finance Dar es salaam 1.7K views Reference: 455
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN Capital Development Fund makes public and private finance work for the poor in the worlds 46 least developed countries (LDCs). UNCDF offers last mile finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development.
UNCDFs financing models work through three channels: (1) inclusive digital economies, which connects individuals, households, and small businesses with financial eco-systems that catalyze participation in the local economy, and provide tools to climb out of poverty and manage financial lives; (2) local transformative finance, which drives structural transformation of localities through policy and regulatory reform, fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and project finance to unlock capital flows to the local level, combined local economic expansion and sustainable development; and (3) investment finance, which provides catalytic financial structuring, de-risking, and capital deployment to drive SDG impact and domestic resource mobilization.
The UNCDF is seeking to hire a Programme Finance Associate who will contribute to ensure effective programme financial management and for supporting the planning, budgeting, and monitoring of the Tanzania country programmes. In addition, the responsibilities of the Analysis extend up to 35% of time to support the new UNCDF CookFund programme in its financial reporting and responsibilities. The incumbent will also: 1) lead the administration functions 2) support the fund manager and work very closely with the investment officers and other staff in the field to manage financial activities and as well as financial reporting to the donors and HQ.
The Programme and Finance Associate will be under the overall supervision of UNCDF Global LFI Manager/CTA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administration and implementation of operational and financial strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results (15%):
- Full compliance with UN/UNCDF rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management.
- Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, elaboration of conditions of contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management.
Administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results (10%)
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UNCDF projects, follow up with HQs on authorized spending limits (ASL) and application of income.
- Preparation of annual work plans in consultation with office management, forecasting, reconciliation, and appropriate periodic reporting.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL/Project Cash Availability.
- Prepare project budget revision in ATLAS and submit for the approvers to sending project budget to commitment control (KK).
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources of the CO, reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Preparation and maintenance of the risk register and approved mitigation plans within the accounting system and reporting
Provides accounting, finance, procurement, human resource, logistic, and administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results (10%)
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Coordination and review of accounts closure.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Payables for CO timely payment and reconciliations with budget.
- Timely reimbursements for staff and other partners.
- Provides administrative and logistical support by supervising the logistic processes.
- Provides procurement support by following organization procurement rules and guidelines
- Provides support to office maintenance and assets management.
- Provides support to programme management and preparation of and support to regular Project Board and Steering Committee meetings.
Support the UNCDF Tanzania new CookFund with its financial management and reporting functions. 35%
- Provide financial management support including managing the flow of funds and expenses, periodic reporting, reconciliation, advanced financial and analysis to support reporting and management team decision making on timely basis
Ensures proper CO cash management functioning and Audit focusing on achievement of the following results (10%)
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure enough funds on hand for disbursements
- Timely replenishment of all imprest of all staff and including petty cash management, reconciliation and retiring according to UN cash management rules;
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by office management and HQ Follow up to ensure timely liquidation of all project advances.
- Alternate as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
- A focal person for the project audit and ensures that all documents are make available to the auditors and follow up on the implementation of audit findings.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results (10%)
- Organization of training for the operations/programme/projects staff on financial management and portfolio management.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in financial management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ensures facilitation of financial analysis and reports, functioning as advisory of the projects implementation and monitoring from time to time (10%)
- Prepare programme budget estimates and strategic budgets on an annual and bi-annual basis or as required in conjunction with the programme technical team, with attention to the specific requirements of various donors and different partners.
- Regular monitoring of disbursement and submission of financial implementation status to programme manager and to donors as per the schedules.
- Provide financial analysis of the programme budgets and expenses.
- Support programme management through initiating and reviewing of the various financial reports.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of activities as well as tracking progress on the various action plans
- Provide input into planning and developing of innovative initiatives for the programme.
- Monitor the execution of donor agreements and guide partner agencies on implementation timeframes and budgets.
- Support the overall management and supervision of programmes.
- Leadership: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Communication: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Innovation: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- People Management: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Delivery: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Teamwork: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Administration & Operations - Assets management: Knowledge of policy & procedures on PP&E; ability to prepare financial statements on PP&E; maintain Asset Management Module in ATLAS
- Administration & Operations - Inventory management: Each office to ensure sufficient inventory items are available for use as well as reporting for items which are beyond the corporate threshold of $5K and above
- Finance - Audit (General): Understands the key stages of audit work, including planning, documentation, testing and reporting. Ability to examine and verify accounts and records. Understands wider mechanisms for assurance and scrutiny.
- Finance - Financial planning and budgeting: Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP's long and short-term financial goals, including through planning, budgeting, forecasting, analyzing, and reporting
- Finance - Budget management: Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
- Procurement - Financial analysis: Knowledge of evaluating businesses, projects, budgets, and other finance related transactions to determine their performance and suitability
- Administration & Operations - Travel policy and procedures: Knowledge of travel policy and procedures; ability to interpret travel policy, the Staff Rules, administrative circulars and financial regulations and rules on travel related matters
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education is required with Specialized Certification in Economics, Accounting & Finance and Business Administration.
- Bachelors degree in Economics, Accounting, Finance and Business Administration will be given due consideration Finance Certification such as CPA or ACCA is an asset.
- Longlisted candidates will require to undergo UNCDF Accountancy & Finance Test
- Minimum 7 years (Secondary Education), or Bachelors Degree (4 Years) of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required.
- Experience in project management and in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably the UNDP global financial and operational management system (ATLAS).
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is an asset.
- Experience in managing finances for United Nations and knowledge of UN Programme and Operations procedures is desirable.
- Hands on experience with capacity development, organizational development, and advisory work.
- Work experience in the UN system and knowledge of UN Programme and Operations procedures is desirable
- Proficiency in oral and written English & Swahili.
- Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Crisis management / Country Management Support
Bureau Regional Bureau for Africa
1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience
High School certificate
Proficiency in oral and written English & Swahili.
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Share This on: